A Greece Travel Guide for your upcoming Greece Getaway
January 24, 2020
The exquisite country of Greece is popularly known as the Cradle of Western Civilization since ancient times. With a plethora of Spell-binding locations & activities in Greece, you will be spoilt for choice. An ideal Greece Travel Guide will be a useful addition for your Greece holiday.
Greece is known for many firsts like creating & hosting the first Olympic games and mooting the idea of democracy. But that’s not all! You will be mesmerized by Greece’s beguiling architecture, spectacular Greek islands & exotic cuisine. Discover captivating locations like The Delphi, Santorini, Mount Olympus & Monasteries of Meteora for a memorable Greece trip.
If that’s not enough, get ready to be enthralled with a plethora of lip-smacking dishes from Greek Cuisine. Greece offers something for every tourist & sybarite. So, get hold of a Greece Visa UK & read the below mentioned Greece Tourist Guide to prepare for your trip to Greece.
An Essential Gist of Greece to include in your Greece Travel Guide:
History of Greece:
- The origin of Greece can be traced back to the Paleolithic Era. Tourists get an exclusive opportunity to explore a plethora of prehistoric sites dating back to Neolithic & Bronze age.
- Neolithic age was associated with the construction of buildings whereas Bronze age brought in urban centres.
- By 1669, The Ottomans invaded parts of the empire & Greece had Crete as its sole area. You can discover many preserved monuments of these eras on your trip to Greece.
Greece Civilization & Topography:
- Greece civilization is characterized by its arts like pottery, architecture, weaving, sculptures, jewellery & music.
- Greece is situated in south-eastern Europe & lies at the meeting point of Africa, Asia & Europe.
- The country is characterized by 3 significant areas:
- Peninsular Mainland – Central Greece to Thrace
- Peloponnes Peninsula – A unique region of Greece
- Greek Archipelago – A collection of around 6000 Islands
- Almost 80% of Greece comprises of hills or mountains making it a perfect choice & addition in Greece tourism Guide for Adventurers.
- You will experience Mediterranean Climate – Good amount of sunshine, mellow temperatures & scanty rainfall.
General Information to know before Travelling to Greece:
- The capital of Greece is Athens & the Euro is the official currency used.
- Some of the popular festivals in Greece are:
- Apokreas – Carnival Season (January to March)
- Easter – Season of Lent & Good Friday ( March to April)
- Navy Week – Rich Greek Sea Legacy (June)
- Hellenic Festival – Music, Dance & Drama (June to August)
- In the case tourists want to avail essential health facilities, these are the handy Greece travel tips:
- Tourists from the European Union: Must Hold a valid European Heald Card (EHIC)
- Tourists from other countries: Consult your social security agency
- For Medical Emergencies, you can contact First Aid or Emergency numbers for quick support.
Greece Travel Guide for an effortless Travel to Greece:
Places to Stay – A vital part of your Greece Travel Guide:
- Greece receives an average footfall of around 12 million tourists per year that ensures the availability of world-class accommodation facilities.
- If you are planning to visit Greece then accommodation should be the top priority in your Greece Travel Itinerary. The categories of accommodation available in Greece are:
- Hotels (Standard guesthouses)
- Apartments or Rooms for rent (as per the number of tourists)
- Villas (Luxury Living)
- Tourist residences (If you prefer high-quality & privacy)
- Youth Hostels (Affordable accommodation)
- Campings (Adventure activities with accommodation)
How to Travel to Greece & its Transport offerings:
- If you intend on Travelling to Greece, then you are in for a treat. Major Countries of Europe & Asia are well connected via Air, Sea, Road & Rail. Other Continents & its countries have direct flights for a hassle-free Greece Visit.
- Once you reach Greece, you can explore many tourist attractions as per your Greece Itinerary via public transport.
Visa – A Significant Component of your Greece Travel Guide:
- Greece is a member of the European Union & is a Schengen Country.
- These are the following Greece Visa & passport rules for tourists of:
- EU & Schengen Area Members – If you are travelling within E.U, then a valid ID is sufficient. Visa is not required by tourists coming from the Schengen Area for a stay up to 3 months.
- Other Countries: Visa is a must-have for tourists from other countries.
Tourist Attractions – An Excellent Addition to your Greece Travel Guide:
Greece Tourism offers an array of attractions that draw thousands of tourists each year. The country’s diverse offerings include its Rich legacy, Spell-binding culture, Archaeological sites, a wide range of enthralling islands, sandy beaches, rugged mountains & much more. Here are the types of Tourist destinations for your Greece Itinerary:
Islands of Greece – A Must-visit attraction for your Greece Travel Guide:
- The picturesque Islands are the main highlight of Greece’s geography.
- You can discover almost 6,000 islands spread across Ionian & Aegean Seas. An interesting fact is that only 227 Islands are inhabited leaving you with almost 5,700 untouched islands to explore.
- In addition to that, there are multiple sandy/pebble beaches, coastal caves, bays & coves, coastal wetlands for a riveting experience of Glorious Greece.
Mainland & Urban Cities of Greece:
- If you are planning out a Greece Family vacation Itinerary, then Urban cities & the mainland are the best places to visit in Greece.
- You can discover vibrant cities, serene villages, bustling old towns in the Greece Mainland. Its beguiling culture & gorgeous coastline offer a resplendent experience for you & your family. Some of the must-visit places to add in your Greece Travel Guide are:
- Enigmatic Peloponnese (Historic sites & Unique Geography)
- Macedonia (Mountains & captivating rivers)
- Epirus (Mythical lakes & adventure activities)
- Zagorochoria (Wide range of flora & fauna)
- Volos (Spell-binding views)
- Urban cities to explore comprise of Athens, Thessaloniki, Patras & Heraklion. All these cities are located nearby ensuring that you experience Greece with a short duration. You can relish a tantalizing lunch or dinner with loved ones while learning about the rich heritage of Greece.
Culture of Greece – An Enlightening Addition to your Greece Travel Guide:
- To learn about the opulent culture of Greece, you can add the following to your Greece Tour Guide:
- Museums – Archaeological, Byzantine, Theme-based, Historical & Folk art Museums
- Monuments – Acropolis of Athens, The Delphi, Palace of Knossos & Fortress of Nafplion.
- World Heritage sites – Greece has been added to the World heritage site list with popular attractions like Temple of Apollo Epicurius, Asklepios Sanctuary, Mount Athos, Meteora & many more.
- Exciting Events – Greek Festival, Thessaloniki International Book Fair/Film Festival, Kalamata Dance festival & organization like Athens / Thessaloniki concert hall, Greek National Opera / Theatre are great places to learn about the unrivalled Greek culture.
Nature Attractions – An offbeat experience in your Greece Travel Guide:
- You can find a plethora of Nature offerings like:
- Mountains – Mountain ranges of Olympus, Rhodope & Pindus.
- Rivers – Haliacmon, Struma & Vardar.
- Forests – Foloi, Dadia, Steni, Koukounaries & Drimos.
- National parks – Ainos, Vikos, Lefka Ori & Olympos.
- Waterfalls – Nedas, Belles, Theodoriana & Edessa.
Activities to include in your Greece Travel Guide:
Greece has a wide range of engaging activities for you & your family explore &Travel Greece. Here are some of the activities for your Greece Tour Guide:
Must-try sports to include in your Greece Travel Guide:
- Water Sports -Scuba Diving, Kayaking, Jet Skiing & Parasailing.
- Land Sports -Trekking, Mountain Biking, Skiing & Caving.
- Air Sports -Gliding, Hand gliding & Paragliding.
Leisure Activities – A Crucial part of your Greece Travel Guide:
- Shopping – You can buy a wide range of European products, clothes & memorabilia from markets like Athens Central, Eleonas Flea, Avissinias Antique market & many more.
- Vibrant Greek Lifestyle – Explore theatres, pubs, clubs, bars, casinos, music cafes & funky restaurants of Greece for a fulfilling nightlife experience.
- Spa– You will find many therapeutic natural springs & renowned spas in Greece to relax & rejuvenate.
Gastronomical Delights – A Zesty Inclusion to your Greece Travel Guide:
- Varied Regional Cuisine – Savor exquisite dishes like Moussaka, Souvlaki & Choriatiki. As you travel Greece & its various cities, you will encounter different varieties of dishes based of seafood, meat, vegetables offering a nutritious experience.
- Traditional Greek products – These are Olive Oil, Unique varities of Cheese (Kaseri, Graviera & Kefalotiri), lip-smacking wines, Ouza & Mastic.
- Wines – Taste renowned wines like Santorinian Vinsanccto, Ksinomavro, Ayioryitiko & Movrotragano. There are many other Greece-specific wines that will surely tantalize your taste buds.
- Beers – Savor lip-smacking variants of beer like Mythos, Alfa, Fix, Volkan & Nissos.
The list is not over yet! There are various events & activities as per the seasons prevailing in Greece. So plan your Greece Trip Itinerary & carry the above mentioned Greece Travel Guide for a wholesome experience of Greece. Grab a Greece Visa & Go Greek!